Sunday, September 28, 2008

Meet Our Members--Ruth of A Cottage Hearth

Hi! I’m Ruth, from A Cottage Hearth.



Having always had a need to create, over the years I’ve dabbled in a variety of mediums. One year, in
college, I remember going into a bead shop and falling in love with the variety of tiny treasures at hand.
But my artistic and life paths took other roads. Fast forward a few years and I found myself buying a jewelry kit. An obsession was born, or rather, re-born. Since then I have voraciously expanded my bead
collection and jewelry repertoire.



I am drawn to simple artistic yet wearable styles with unexpected combinations that accent the chosen beads. I like to work in multiple mediums, such as combining glass, silver and gemstones or crystals.

What is my favorite piece? Usually the one I just finished making. I am particularly fond of the combination of purple, green and silver. I also love all forms of jasper, carnelian, aventurine, aragonite and the many agate varieties. But tomorrow I may favor something completely different!




Greatest achievement? Hopefully yet to come! I bead for the fun, not the fame.

I enjoy learning new techniques. I have begun to do bead embroidery and plan to incorporate more
seed beaded and embroidered pieces into my work. I am also currently experimenting with fiber accents and combining beadwork and fibers.



Tips? Always write down ideas as soon as they come to you. (Keep an inspiration journal.) Read up on and research every aspect of your craft. Ask stupid questions. And finally…believe.

No comments: